A Special Message from UIW Career Services
Contact us at [email protected]
The Office of Career Services is checking in that you’re safe and healthy in this time of crisis. As always, our priority is to make sure your basic needs are being met. If you need more general resources, please check out our webpage.
This is a guide on how you can continue to search for opportunities and engage with potential employers online while you are unable to come to campus in person and for some of you who may be going through a job loss.
● Want some insider advice? Here are four tips from recruiters on how to find a job online.
● Have an interview that is now virtual? Here are some tips on how to make a good
● Having to change plans due to the state of the world? Here's some advice on how to get
● Have an internship that is now remote (or always was)? Here are six ways to make the
● Finally, just curious about where to start? Here is a FAQ on how to get a job on Handshake.
● Attend online events: To the greatest extent possible, we are shifting all employer events online. Simply follow this link to head to the events page in Handshake and search for events marked as a “virtual session” event type.
● Schedule career center appointments via video chat or phone: Don’t miss out on appointments. These sessions can be hosted virtually or by phone. Head to Handshake to schedule an appointment. Once you’ve selected your appointment category and type, you’ll see an option to select your appointment medium in the upper right corner of your screen. Click to see if the appointment you’re scheduling can be hosted remotely.
● Learn from your peers: Read the over 100,000+ employer reviews on Handshake to learn more about what it’s like to intern or work at a specific company. Or, use Peer Messaging to chat with alumni or other students with your major, or even to conduct informational interviews online. Check out this guide out to learn more about how to learn from other students on Handshake.
● Fill out your online profile: Did you know that 80% of students who fill out location preferences, job role preferences, and job type preferences receive a message from an employer? It’s a simple step, but a really effective way to start engaging with potential employers online. Here’s a quick guide to getting the most out of your Handshake profile.
● Follow employers you’re interested in: By following an employer, you’ll be alerted when they post an upcoming online event.
As a reminder, our services are still open to meet with advisors virtually and review resumes and cover letters, mock interviewing, career counseling, job search and more. We are here to support you whether you are a current student or an Alumni.
Jessica L. Wilson
Director of Career Services
University of the Incarnate Word
210-832-5627 I 915-630-4823 I Fx: 210-829-6094